Monday, August 22, 2016

Minimalism + Motherhood


These two topics are my favorite! Most people don't understand how it is possible to be a minimalist and a new parent. There are countless articles saying all of these things that you will need to buy before your baby comes home from the hospital. Of course you need things, but really the list of what you actually need is quite short. We have kept it very simple in our little one bedroom apartment. Our home doesn't look much different than it did before he was born. I'm looking around our place now, and there are five noticeable things that have been added: a stroller that has its designated place by the front door, a jumper that he uses at least 4-5 times a day, a crib, a high chair (in another month he will be able to use it), and our newest addition is a small activity center where he can press buttons that light up and make sound (the only thing that is not black and white). I have a deep love for all things black and white, but for Phoenix I add color ;). We didn't buy a changing table. There is a changing pad that fits on top of our dresser. We didn't buy an excess of clothes for him. We stick to one pack of five white onesies, and one pack five colored onesies that say cute things on them like "wild about mommy". He has a handful of toys: one bear, three teething toys in a variety of shapes and textures, and one set of colorful shapes that make different sounds when each one is touched: crinkle, squeak, etc. He has all he needs without excess. As soon as he grows out of his onesies or no longer uses a toy, it is dropped off at Goodwill for the next person to find value in it. There is no reason to hold on to things that serve no purpose, or don't bring you joy. I am so grateful for the opportunity to share these philosophies with Phoenix as he gets older. People add so much attachment and sentimentality to things. I have decided to keep two things: Phoenix's first onesie and the little bear he's photographed with each week. That's it, because the value isn't in the thing itself - but the memory you've made.

2 comments:

  1. This really speaks to me. I am a firm believer in owning nothing that is neither useful nor beautiful, so we only keep what we actually love around. We are not parents yet, but I have considered it, and I really can't believe all the things everyone suddenly exclaims you "need." I had mentioned how for the first year or less we would only buy onesies and use the dresser as a changing table and people thought I was crazy! But I am glad someone else out there feels the same - kids don't need a lot of crap. They don't even care if they are dressed at all lol. Anyway, I feel super encouraged, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great that you are living a minimalistic life. It's a simple life, and one that makes it easier to see what it's truly important. I know exactly how you feel - most people don't understand, because they are stuck in the mindset of keeping up with other's around them. It's best to think for yourself, and be open to the possibilities that you don't need to have what other's have in order to be prepared. I wish you the best of luck if/when you decide to have a baby. I'm sure you would be a wonderful mama! :)

      Delete