Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Chevron Curtains + First Sewing Project







Last Saturday Jason + I went over to my parent's house in hopes my mom could teach us how to use a sewing machine. What I thought was going to be a 2-3 hour project turned into a 6 hour endeavor that kept us at it until 1:30 in the morning. My mom was such a trooper! She not only taught us how to use the sewing machine but helped us make these beautiful curtains. I'm so proud of our first sewing project. I learned that sewing a seam in a straight line is a lot more difficult than I thought. I settled on  the idea that all the little bumps add character. I can't wait to make something else, because practice makes perfect. I found the fabric really cheap here. We also managed to score these rods at Ross for $11.99. 

♥ What was your first sewing project?

11 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! They came out so cute! They look like they were bought at ikea :-D Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Love the chevron lines! I have a mini sewing machine and have no idea how to use it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been obsessed with chevron for a while. I want a sewing machine of my own :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh... these are awesome!! I've actually been thinking about sewing my own curtains lately since I just bought a new house and the old blinds definitely need replacing. Hmm... inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It such a great feeling to make them yourself! You should definitely give it a go :)

      Delete
  4. Sewing in a straight line is way harder than it should be. Hehe. But your curtains look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Meggie! Isn't it fun making your own things? Is your mom ironing on her granite counter top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun :) Yes she is! I guess you can iron on granite because it's such a hard material.

      Delete
  6. First time reader this morning! I know this is an old post, but great job on the curtains! That's the thing about sewing....you think you will sit down at the machine and in an hour or two your project will be finished. Then many HOURS later, the finished product! How awesome that you had help....I never have any help.

    ReplyDelete